Continuing education (CE) presentation procedures
Find rules and reporting procedures CE providers need to follow in order to ensure licensees can receive proper CE credit below.
Providers must select instructors who are knowledgeable about the topic, competent to teach it and trustworthy. Although the OIC does not approve instructors, we can decline a CE course if the instructor is not qualified. Instructor résumés should be kept in the providers' CE file and must be available upon request.
- When you submit the roster, you will need to enter the instructor information under "instructor" then add the instructor as an "attendee" also. This will give the instructor double credit. To get double CE credit, there can only be one instructor for the course.
- If the instructor has already used the course for CE credit in the past three years, he or she cannot be added as an attendee. You will receive an error message.
- If there was a morning presentation of the course (one-to-four-hour course) and an afternoon presentation of the same course, you can only submit one roster for the day. The instructor can only receive CE credit for one of the presentations. Also add the instructor as an attendee if CE credit is requested by the instructor.
- If two instructors taught the same course on the same day at different locations, you can only enter one instructor on the roster for double credit. If both need double credit, then you can enter one instructor on the roster and send a request to the OIC for CE credit for the second instructor.
The online roster program began in April 2008 and requires providers to report CE credits for licensees within 10 days of course completion. Our online roster program will accept a late roster but repeated violations of the 10-day roster rule can result in an enforcement action.
To utilize the online roster-submission program, you'll need to create an account on our website by registering. If you have not registered yet, email our education analyst and registration information can be emailed to you.
If you have registered but forgot your password, use the "Forgot Password?" link in the "To access your account" box to reset your account and have a new password emailed to your registered email address.
Your User ID is your provider number with the letters L-I-C in front of your provider number. Example: LIC111111.
- One roster, per course, per day. If there was a morning presentation of the course (one-to-four-hour course) and an afternoon presentation of the same course, you can only submit one roster for the day.
- Also, if the same course is presented in two locations on the same day, there can only be one roster. Combine the attendees into one roster
Attendance registers (Word, 35KB) are required for each lecture class. The instructor or monitor must maintain possession of the attendance register for the entire duration of the class. Attendees can't sign out until the class is completed.
Attendees can't sign in more than 10 minutes after the start of the class.
Save the attendance register for three years with your course records.
Certificate of completion
A certificate of completion must be issued to each attendee within 10 days of completing the course. The instructor, class monitor or other person authorized by the provider can sign the certificates. The provider must keep a record of the people authorized to sign certificates on behalf of the provider. A certificate form can be requested by the provider's contact person. Email our education analyst to request a form and include your provider number.
Ten-day notice of subsequent presentation
CE providers must send the OIC a notice at least 10 days before presenting an approved insurance CE course. The course notice should not be sent earlier than 60 days before the presentation. This notice is not a request for approval of the course presentation, so you will not receive a reply.
There is no specific form for this notice.
You may send the notice via email to our education analyst.
The course-presentation notice must include:
- Provider number,
- Course number,
- Date and time, and
- Location (address) of presentation.
If an approved CE course that has been scheduled for a presentation is cancelled for any reason, the provider must notify the OIC of the course-presentation cancellation via email.
Advertising a CE course
A course submitted for CE credit cannot be advertised prior to the course being approved by the OIC. Advertising a course before obtaining OIC course approval by indicating, "continuing education credit is pending," is not allowed.
A CE course advertisement must include all of the following:
- The insurance education provider's name, using the name registered with our office,
- The course title, as approved by our office,
- A brief description of the content of the course,
- The number of credit hours approved by our office,
- The location where the course will be held,
- The date and time the course will be presented, and
- The total cost of the course.
CE course records
Providers must keep all course and attendance or registration records for three years from the course-completion date.
CE providers must maintain the following records:
- Course application,
- Topic outline,
- Instructor résumé - if lecture,
- Course-approval letter,
- Attendance register - if lecture,
- Registration form and completed exam - if self-study,
- Certificate of completion, with course information and authorized signature,
- Course evaluations - if completed by the student,
- Course material and final exam - if self-study, and
- Course-presentation notice.