Become a pre-licensing education (PLE) provider
Become a PLE provider
To obtain authorization as a PLE provider the following items must be submitted in an electronic format (such as an email with attachment or on a CD):
An applicant for director must be:
- Experienced: Five years teaching with knowledge of insurance products, principals, laws and rules.
- Trustworthy: As defined in WAC 284-17-535(1)(3) (www.apps.leg.wa.gov).
- Competent: Must hold a Washington state producer license in good standing and possess the appropriate academic or professional credentials acceptable to the commissioner.
If the program director will teach courses, the instructor requirements also apply. They must hold a producer license with the same lines of authority he or she proposes to teach.
PLE instructor-application form (Word, 29KB) (for lecture courses or self-study courses with video presentation)
Applicant for instructor must be:
- Experienced: Three years as a producer or three years of teaching/supervising insurance courses.
- Trustworthy: As defined in WAC 284-17-537(1)(b) (www.apps.leg.wa.gov).
- Competent: Must hold a producer license with the same lines of authority he or she proposes to teach or have the appropriate academic or professional credentials equivalent to an insurance license.
- Five types of courses: life, disability (health), property, casualty and personal lines.
- Lecture courses must be presented in Washington state.
- Self-study courses may be by correspondence or online.
Students must study at least 20 hours per course and complete the curriculum. The curriculum is described in the Pearson Vue (www.asisvcs.com) Washington Insurance Licensing Candidate Handbook (PDF, 915KB). See each exam content outline.
Each course should cover the single-line exam content outlines. We will not approve a course based on any of the combination-exam content outlines.
Copies of course materials, including: A) A detailed topic outline (cross-referencing the examination content outline printing in the Licensing Handbook) and, B) A copy of the entire textbook.
Where to send application packets
- Fax to 360-586-2019, or
- Email us, or
- Mail to P.O. Box 40257, Olympia, WA 98504-0257.