Discount health plans
Discount health plans are membership organizations that charge a fee for a list of health care providers who offer discounted health care services or products. They are not insurance.
What the law requires
According to Washington state law (www.apps.leg.wa.gov), discount health plans must:
- Be licensed with our office.
- File an annual statement with us that includes the number of current members and how complaints are handled.
- Not restrict access to providers.
- Refund all periodic charges to a member who cancels a discount plan within 30 days of enrolling.
- Charge no more than a $30 one-time initial-processing fee.
- If asked, provide a potential customer with a plan explanation in writing.
- Have a toll-free number and a website that provides an updated list of providers.