Buying an individual plan
Individual coverage is health insurance for you and/or your family members. In our state, you can buy this coverage:
- Through the Washington Healthplanfinder (www.wahealthplanfinder.org) - A new online marketplace where you can compare plans and get help paying your premium, depending on your income.
- Directly from a health insurance company - Additional health plans are available outside of the Washington Healthplanfinder, but if you buy directly from an insurance company, you won't get help paying your premium.
Some individual health plans may not be available where you live. View our map of individual health plans and their rates by county.
What determines how much you'll pay in premiums
- Your age and the age of any family member on your plan
- Whether or not you smoke
- The size of your family (how many people you want to cover)
- Where you live
- The deductible amount
- The benefits in your health plan
- The amount of your IRS premium tax credit subsidy (www.irs.gov) (if you apply for coverage through the Washington Healthplanfinder)
Health reform and individual plans
Individual health insurers:
- Cannot limit or deny you benefits if you or a family member have a pre-existing medical condition.
- Must include in the plans they offer a standard set of essential benefits (www.healthcare.gov), such as prescription drugs, maternity care, lab services, etc.
Individual health plan open enrollment periods
You can buy individual health plans only during the following specific time periods (called "open enrollment periods"):
- Current enrollment period: Oct. 1, 2013 - March 31, 2014
- 2014 Fall open enrollment period: Oct. 15 - Dec. 7 (Note: the federal government may move the Fall open enrollment period to Nov. 15 - Jan. 15 (www.healthcare.gov). If this occurs, we will update the information on this page.)
- Special enrollment periods may also be available for certain qualifying events, such as if you lose previous coverage, have a change in family status, move to a new coverage area, etc.
- There is no open enrollment period if you apply for Washington Apple Health (Medicaid). You can complete your renewals throughout the year through the Washington Healthplanfinder (www.wahealthplanfinder.org) or by calling 855-923-4633.