"I’m extremely grateful for the SHIBA service, I didn’t expect to receive such a speedy reply."
When can I enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan?
In addition to when you first join Medicare, you can also enroll during:
Annual election period (Oct. 15 to Dec. 7 each year)
During this enrollment period:
- You can join, switch or leave any Medicare Advantage plan.
- You may return to Original Medicare and buy a stand-alone Medicare Part D plan.
- Your changes take effect Jan. 1.
Medicare Advantage disenrollment period (Jan. 1 to Feb. 14 each year)
- If you don’t like the Medicare Advantage plan you enrolled in, you can go back to Original Medicare and choose a stand-alone Part D plan (PDF, 268KB).
- The effective date of your disenrollment request will occur the first of the following month.
Note: You can't join or switch a Medicare Advantage plan.
Special enrollment period